Wine for MAC is an open source program that lets the users run Windows related software on non-Windows OS devices. Most often, this program works on Linux operating system. It is also compatible to run Windows software right on MAC operating system using Wine software.
The users neither require a Windows license nor Windows OS running in the background to use Wine for MAC. If you are seeking to run Windows programs on MAC then, Wine is a beneficial program.
Here is a detailed tutorial on how to download and install Wine on MAC OS. This guide helps the users to run their preferred Windows programs on Mac device using the Wine program. Have a glance!
Wine Software for MAC
Wine is the best software that enables the users the facility to run various Windows app on non-Windows running device sans Windows OS. Wine for Mac is a free and open-source application designed and developed for various platform users. Despite having a possibility of installing two different platforms like Windows and MAC on a single device via Boot Cramp, it is truly a time-consuming method.
There might be another method to virtualize Windows and operate it alongside Mac. In that case, the process of virtualization is extremely time-taking and sluggish. Moreover, it requires much of your device’s memory. Above all, the above solutions definitely need a legal copy of Windows which is expensive. At last, we find Wine as a perfect solution for those who are seeking to run Windows programs on non-Windows devices.
How Does Wine work on MAC?
The Wine program is completely unique from the methods that we have mentioned earlier. When you run any program or app, it requests for the resources such as the disk space, memory and more from the operating system. The role of Wine here is to ensure that particular requests get answered that in turn makes the program to run precisely without any flaws.
The Windows app or program don’t even have the capability to realize that it’s not functioning on Windows OS. Using Wine is pretty much easy compared to using an Emulator and it is comparatively faster compared to other programs. As Wine is an open source program, it means that the users can find latest enhancements and addition of new features on a frequent basis. Also Read: iMovie for windows
Pre-Requisites to Install and Run Wine on MAC OS
If you are seeking to install and run Wine on MAC then, you need to ensure that you have the following pre-requisites:
- Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite and higher versions of the operating system
- Decent internet connectivity
- Admin account access along with the password
If you are not aware of the version of MacOS that you are running on your device then, you need to follow the simple process provided below:
- First of all, tap the Apple logo which is present in the left corner of the toolbar.
- You need to pick the option ‘About this Mac’.
- On the next screen, you can find the version number beneath MacOS or OS X.
- If the version number is 10.10 and above then, you are good to go with the further installation process.
How to Download & Install Wine on MAC?
There are multiple methods to acquire Wine on your Mac running device. On the official project website of WineHQ, you can find the official builds of Wine for Mac OS X. We don’t recommend them for you as they aren’t the precise option.
Such builds might let you run Windows software or apps but don’t render beneficial graphical tools so as to install and set up normal apps. So, such official builds of Wine are solely beneficial for the advanced users who are accustomed to Wine.
There are several third-party tools available on the web that helps the users to install and run Wine on Mac. Some of them include PlayOnMac, Wineskin, WineBottler and a lot more. In this tutorial, we have been using WineBottler tool to install and run Windows software on Mac.
Steps to Run Windows Programs on Mac via WineBottler
- First of all, download WineBottler on your Mac OS device using the link provided below.
- Ensure that you are downloading the latest version that operates on your MAC OS X.
- After downloading WineBottler, you need to open the DMG file.
- In order to install them, you need to drag and drop Wine and WineBottler apps to the Applications folder.
- Through the Applications folder, you can launch the WineBottler tool on your device.
- From the list of options, you need to pick any one program and WineBottler starts downloading and installing them automatically.
- WineBottler will configure those apps on your device.
- Under ‘On My Mac’, you can find the installed app present in the WineBottler window.
- Based on your preference, you can launch that app in another window.
- If you want to run another Windows app or program which isn’t present in the WineBottler list, you need to simply download it.
- Later, you can right-click the .exe file and open it with Wine.
- The WineBottler tool lets you execute the .exe file instantly based on your choice.
- You can consider installing the app on Mac using the .app file generated by WineBottler tool.
That’s it! This is the complete procedure to download, and install Wine on your Mac OS X. We have even included the detailed steps to install and run various Windows programs on your Mac device using WineBottler tool. Drop your queries in the below comments section and get appropriate solutions as soon as possible.