Communication between the folks in different countries has become quite simple with Skype app. Skype is compatible with various platforms such as Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, Windows Phone, iOS, Xbox One, and HoloLens. This app is available for all the people in a total of 108 languages. How about Skype for Chromebook? Is it possible to download and install Skype for Chromebook?
Yes, it is clearly feasible to install Skype on a Chromebook. As we all know, Chromebook is a Linux-based Chrome OS OS laptop designed and developed by Google. There is no native procedure to install Skype on Chromebook. Earlier, when people wished to use Skype on Chromebook, the only solution was to install Linux OS as the secondary operating system on your device.
Then, it allows the users to use the Linux version of the software. This is one of the major drawbacks of Skype that eventually made it as the biggest gripe for Chromebook users. Due to that, people are backsliding and showing their disinterest in purchasing the Chromebook device. Check the detailed guide on how to install Skype on Chromebook here.
How to Install Skype on Chromebook?
One can stay in touch with people across the realm by making video calls for free through your Chromebook. The traditional method of installing Linux as a second operating system is not at all required to install Skype on Chromebook. In this post, we have explained a simple process to use Skype on your Chromebook.
1. Know your Device’s Processor
You don’t actually require the installation of Linux operating system on your device. Before installing Skype for Chromebook, you need to be sure about the processor running on your device. This enables the users to download precise files on their machine. In order to find out the processor on your device, you need to follow the simple steps provided below:
- First of all, hit the Menu button appearing at the top right corner of the Chrome browser.
- Navigate to Settings >> About Chrome OS.
- You can then see either 32-bit or ARM-based processor next to the version number.
- Check the processor which is being used on your machine.
2. Download Vital Files
Once you have ensured the processor running on your device, you need to download required files. It requires 2 files so as to install Skype for Chromebook. The two files include the ARChon Runtime zip file and the Skype APK file. Tap the links provided below so as to download ARChon file related to your processor. Using ARChon runtime, you can run unlimited Android APKs generated through chromeos-apk on your Chrome OS and on any of the desktop platform compatible with Chrome.Based on your processor, you can download and install the zip files provided below.
[32-bit] ARChon Runtime zip file
[64-bit] ARChon Runtime zip file
ARM ARChon Runtime zip file
3. Install Skype APK File
After downloading the aforementioned ARChon file, you can download and install the latest Skype APK. Below, we have provided two links so that you can download either Skype APK for the smartphone or the tablet. You can either download the landscape app or a portrait app based on your preference.
Install Skype APK for Smartphone
Skype APK for Tablet
4. Access the Files
In order to unzip the files that you have previously downloaded on your device, you need to follow the below steps.
- Initially, open the Files app and double tap the zip file ‘v1.2-x86_xxx.zip’.
- It is the ARChon Runtime file.
- Right click on the new file i.e., ‘vladikoff-archon-xxxxxxxxx’.
- Copy and paste the same file into your Downloads folder.
- You need to copy and paste the Skype zip file into the Downloads folder.
5. Install Required Files
- You have placed all the necessary files in the downloads folder.
- Once you are done with downloading and unzipping the required files, you need to install them.
- The process of installing the apps other than the Chrome web store needs a different procedure.
- Go to Menu >> More Tools >> Extensions.
- On the top right corner, you can find the option that says ‘Developer Mode’.
- Mark the checkbox of Developer Mode.
- Hit the option that says ‘Load unpacked extension’. You can then both the unzipped files i.e., for ARChon Runtime first and for Skype file next.
- After unpacking them successfully, you can see red color beneath the new apps within the Extensions list.
6. Launch Skype App
- After successfully installing the Skype app on your Chromebook, you can access it from the apps tray.
- For the first time, you need to run the Skype app. It takes at least a minute to load the Skype app on Chromebook.
- Using your Windows account credentials, you can log into your Skype app.
Further, you can delete the zip files of ARChon and Skype from the downloads folder. Ensure that you are not deleting the files that you have extracted on your device. That’s it! This is the simple and detailed process to install Skype for Chromebook.