Microsoft, one of the leading software firm has originated Windows 10 previously in the year 2015. Following the launch of Windows 10 OS, all the Windows users have commenced utilizing distinctive advantageous features accessible on it. On the other hand, most of them have defied loads of problems with Windows 10 due to its upgrading and Windows Update process.
Still, the features rolled out to this latest version of Windows OS have inundated the issues with this platform. After the launch of Windows 10, we found that the Telemetry enabled on this platform is one of the great features by default. This telemetry feature enables all the users to collect vital data about user activities. All the gathered information will be sent to the Microsoft company. People who are not accepting this feature has a possibility to disable it completely from their operating system.
But, the users may not be able to disable this feature directly from Settings on Windows 10 Home and Pro editions. On the other hand, the Enterprise edition people could easily turn off or disable it from their PC. There are some users who are not even aware of this feature. For such folks, we have come up with a detailed guide to Windows 10 Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry. Learn how to disable or fix it on different editions of Windows 10 OS. Have a glimpse!
What is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry?
If you are not fully aware of this feature, let me explain it to you in detail through this post. Prior to scrolling down towards understanding the methods to disable telemetry feature from your PC, get to know about Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry feature. What is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry? This is the frequently asked questions by several people across the world. The internet has been flooding with this question across different parts of the globe from the people who use Windows 10 PC.
People who have seen this default feature on their OS might obviously think about its benefits. In fact, this feature has been designed in order to collect the activities that each user carries out on their respective devices. Once the information is gathered, it is directly sent to Microsoft intimating them about the user activities. With an intention to improve the user experience at the time of accessing their OS, the developers have included this feature.
In addition to the user experience, this feature improves the device’s performance. It provides extra protection and privacy of the user’s data on their Windows PC. The users have the capability to pick the kind of data or the information they want to share with the Windows developer. This feature is particularly open to various versions of Windows 10 that includes Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise editions.
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Windows 10
Windows 10 is an exceptional operating system designed and launched into the market for all the users 3 years back. The developers have availed an option to users of Windows OS that they can easily upgrade their OS to the latest Windows 10 OS. It means that the users can upgrade their Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 platform. The firm has come up with a simplistic method so as to upgrade the OS or simply download and install by buying it. After launching this new OS, the firm has integrated numerous profitable features for all the Windows 10 users.
Microsoft has introduced a plenty of features for all the Windows users. The popular features available on Windows 10 OS include the following.
- App throttling
- Blue light reduction
- 3D content
- Microsoft Edge
- Different Game modes and Game settings
In addition to the above features, there is an integrated broadcasting feature on it. There are numerous security improvements on Windows 10 platform. As part of the latest improvements, we can find a dynamic locking system on this platform.
The Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry feature on Windows 10 OS comes in support of the automation upload of data. The users can easily share their choice of data with the Windows developers. The ability to upload the data automatically is plausible through the Diagnostic Tracking service accessible on Windows 10. Despite, it is completely optional for the Windows 10 users.
Microsoft Telemetry Causes High Disk Usage
On a frequent basis, Microsoft ensures the transparency of data shared with Windows developers. To fix some of the security and authenticity issues of Windows 10, the firm utilizes the telemetry data. It scrutinizes the issues correctly and later fixes the software problems by applying the valid solution. This will ultimately improve the quality of Windows and other secure services.
Telemetry feature is not at all unique for the Windows users. This feature collects all the data and outlines it so as to expand up the user’s experience. Earlier, the company has driven out some optional updates for all the users of Windows 7 and Windows 8 platforms. The update states that they would offer the corresponding telemetry data. Even this feature is available as optional service, there are still people who worry about the method to disable it.
Some people have bestowed their demolition towards the insertion of telemetry feature on Windows 10 operating system. Another great problem with this feature is that it uses 50 percent of the disk usage. This, in turn, turns your PC sluggish and irritating with poor performance. People who don’t want to share their feedback automatically to the Windows developers can turn off that feature entirely.
Telemetry Data Collection and Transmission – 4 Levels
On your Windows 10 PC, you can find a portion of software specifically ‘Connected User Experience’ and ‘Telemetry component’. It is usually referred to as Universal Telemetry Client (UTC) that works as the best Windows service The display name for this service is DiagTrack.
With the help of this service, the Telemetry feature will assemble all the data and shares it. Usually, the data of Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is classified into four levels. All the 4 levels of the telemetry data collected in regard to the Windows 10 user activities are listed below:
Basic: The Telemetry feature will accumulate some of the necessary details about the app. Some of the details include the compatibility of the app, the usage of the app and several other items.
Security: The firm makes sure that the protection of the device and the data of the user has been secured even after collecting it. The protection present with this feature involves eliminating the virus from the data utilizing a tool namely Windows defender and always guarantees the security of your OS.
Enhancements: Microsoft has come up with several improvements on Windows 10 device such as Windows servers and other security changes.
Full: Full data implies it covers all the basic details and enhanced data. This option will turn on the advanced diagnostic feature that regularly collects additional data from your device. The extra data includes system files.
How to Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Windows 10?
There are several ways to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry feature on Windows 10 device. In this post, we have come up with an in-depth guide to the process of disabling Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on Windows 10 Operating System. Actually, there are 5 methods to fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry feature on Windows 10 OS. Check it out!
Method 1: Registry Editor
The users can efficiently disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry from their Windows 10 device through the Registry Editor option. Follow the simple steps furnished below:
- At first, you need to go to the desktop on your device.
- Just click on R button so as to open the Run dialog box.
- In the run field, you need to type in ‘regedit’ and tap on the enter button so as to run the registry editor program.
- You can then navigate to this location:
- You need to right-click on ‘DataCollection’ folder and choose ‘New” – “DWORD (32-bit) Value’ and you need to rename it as ‘AllowTelemetry’.
- You need to set the data value of AllowTelemetry to 0. By default, the value is 0. If the default value is not 0, you can easily edit it by double-clicking on this option and set it to 0.
- After that, you can run it and change the value to 1 if you wish to use Microsoft Telemetry feature on your device.
Method 2: Command Prompt
The users can easily disable the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry from their Windows 10 device using the Command Prompt method. For this method, the users need to enter the commands in the CMD window.
- First of all, press and hold Windows Key + R button to access the Run dialog box.
- Enter ‘cmd’ in the RUN field and hit enter.
- In the command prompt window, you need to right-click it and tap ‘Run as administrator’ option.
- Type in the following commands and hit the enter button to each command.
- sc delete DiagTrack
- sc delete dmwappushservice
- echo ““ > C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-DiagTrack-Listener.etl
- red add “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection”/v AllowTelemtery/tREG_DWORD/d 0 /f
Method 3: Diagnostic Tracking Service
As mentioned before, this feature works perfectly to enhance the user experience with Microsoft. If you don’t want to take part in the feedback process, you can simply disable this feature. By disabling the automatic feedback feature, you will be free from sharing the data. Follow the steps to fix this issue using diagnostics tracking service.
- Run the services which are a desktop app on your Windows 10 PC.
- Search for Diagnostics Tracking Service and access ‘Property Sheet’ for the same.
- On the next Property Window, you can tap ‘General’ tab and select ‘Disable’ button within the ‘Startup Type’ section.
Method 4: Group Policy Editor
The second method to disable Microsoft compatibility Telemetry service is by using Group Policy Editor. Check out the simple steps that help the users to disable this feature on Windows 10 device with much ease:
- First of all, you need to open the ‘Run’ dialog box on your Windows PC.
- Just type ‘gpedit.msc’ in the field and hit enter.
- It will open a new window that says Group Policy Editor.
- On this window, you need to navigate to the location as follows:
- “Computer Configuration – Administrative Templates – Windows Components – Data collection and Preview Builds”
- Just right-click on ‘Allow Telemetry’ option.
- You can now choose ‘Disabled’ option and hit the button that says Apply’ on this window. You can finally it OK button so as to completely disable Telemetry on your device.
Method 5: Remove it from Task Scheduler
Some of the users have faced high disk usage issues with this feature. In order to fix this issue, the users can remove the file from the task scheduler. The last and final method to disable this telemetry feature is to remove it from the task scheduler. Follow the below steps:
- First of all, access Task Scheduler from your Windows PC.
- Go to Task Scheduler Library >> Microsoft >> Windows >> Application Experience
- You need to disable all the three tasks displayed on the screen from the next folder.
- Go to Task Scheduler Library >> Microsoft >> Windows >> Customer Experience Improvement Program.
- On that section, you need to disable all the 3 options.
- That’s all! You have successfully fixed the telemetry problem using the task scheduler on Windows 10 PC.
The Bottom Line
That’s all! These are the five different ways that help the users to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on Windows 10 device. Hope this guide has given you adequate information about fixing the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on Windows 10 PC. For more queries, never hesitate to ask us through the comments section. Share your experiences after following this tutorial in the below comments pane.